I have been reading lovely posts around blogland about what people are thankful for and what they've been reflecting on over the past year. I have to say, I'm feeling awfully blessed. This time last year owning a long arm was a pipe dream. A wish and a prayer I didn't know for sure would happen. Not only do I have my dream machine but I have a thriving business and I have come into contact with some of the most wonderful quilters through quilting. It has been an amazing experience!
Because I was so inspired by others, I decided I too want to share with all of you some of the creative highlights of MY year! :) Here goes...
1. Opening my tiny quilting business! I wasn't sure when I began that this would be where I would focus myself, but it has truly turned out to be the best decision I ever made.
2. Leading a free motion quilting class with friends...I would LOVE to do this more in the future!
3. Teaching my Mother a new skill - she has taught me so much over the years it is an amazing feeling to share something in return with her...I owe all of my passion for sewing to my Mother. She after all is the one that taught me how to use a sewing machine!
4. I wrote and self published a free motion quilting handbook that I would love to see become a jumping off point for many more future class ideas and book ideas that I have been tinkering with!
5. I also wrote and self publsihed a Creative Quilting Designs handbook that I would like to expand and elaborate on in the near future.
6. I dyed lots and lots of fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. I discovered a passion for designing whole cloth quilts!
8. I have been blessed with wonderful customers who are also friends - and they have entrusted me with the honor to quilt their amazing quilts for them. More than I can share here but below are just a few -
9. One of the quilts I quilted for a customer even won a first place in its category ribbon! ;)
10. I began expanding on my own personal quilting endeavors and pushing myself to create more elaborate quilts.
11. I learned to airbrush!!!
12. I conquered a few of my fears...like timing my long arm and ripping open the motor to change the motor brushes!!!
13. I rekindled my passon for paints!
14. I experimented with LOTS of different kinds of thread!
15. I feel as if I have finally begun to master this long arm and realizing the how endless the possibilities are!!
I am so excited for what the new year will bring. I have so many ideas, so many goals - and even if I do not reach them all I am still amazed at how far I have come. It was ten years ago that my Mother and I made the trip to that very first quilt show - the one that introduced me to quilting and set me on this amazing journey. This artform has given me so much joy - I don't know what I would do without it!
I hope everyone in blogland is having a wonderful Holiday Season and spending some time reflecting on all of the creative blessings in YOUR lives! :)